Sugar Futures and Market Data: 20th September 2022
By Stephanie Rodriguez
· Raw sugar speculators closed short positions and opened long positions.
· White sugar speculators continue to increase net spec position.
· However, with the recent drop in No.5 prices the white premium has decreased but still in uptrend.
New York No.11 (Raw Sugar)
· The No.11 has dipped below 18 after trading around 18 c/lb to 18.4 c/lb last week.
· Raw sugar speculators had closed over 8k lots of short positions and opened 11k long positions by the 13th of September.
· The net spec position is now around 5k lots short.
· Consumers have closed 6k lots whilst producers added 10k lots over the same period
· The entire No.11 forward curve is now below last week’s.
London No.5 (White Sugar)
· By the end of last week, the No.5 price dropped to 540USD/mt.
· The net spec position has reached 34k lots by the end of the 13th of September, reaching new height for 2022.
· The No.5 forward curve is now below last week’s.
White Premium (Arbitrage)
· The white premium dropped to114 USD/mt, following the drop in No.5 prices.
· Even with the drop in the white premium continues to be in uptrend and should be enough for some discretionary to start increasing their raw sugar demand and start re-exporting refined sugar.
· Like last week, the next K/K and Q/Nwhite premiums are all trading above 110USD/mt, these are unusually high this far in advance of their expiry.
For a more detailed view of the sugar futures and market data, please refer to the data appendix below.
No.11 (Raw Sugar) Appendix
No.5 (White Sugar) Appendix
White Premium Appendix
Raw sugar and cocoa prices reach nearly 10-year highs – the smart cube comments
Prices of raw sugar and cocoa touched 10-year...
Raw sugar prices at 11-year high as adverse weather increases supply woes
Raw sugar prices are trading at a...
Reduced tariff set for transportation of sugar beet by rail in Kyrgyzstan
Reduced tariff set for transportation of sugar...
Crop Ships Are Still Leaving Ukraine Despite Russian Move
Ships loaded with crops are sailing from Ukraine,...
Grain market braces for price flurry as Black Sea corridor in doubt
PARIS, Oct 30 (Reuters) - Wheat futures...